"THE BUILDING"Tequilas is housed in a beautiful 4 story brownstone building in the Rittenhouse Historic District. It was designed by architects John Notman who is best known for the famous St. Mark's Church and John Penn Brock Sinkler noted for the Germantown Town Hall in 1922.
1604 Locust Street was built 1853 & 1602 Locust Street (a.k.a. The Sinkler Mansion) in 1906. The facade is an excellent example of the Romano Tuscan - Renaissance Revival.
The building's historic name is the "Duane-Dulles House", named after it's previous owners. Owner #1 was Irishman William John Duane (1780-1865), son
of William Duane (editor of The Philadelphia Aurora).
Owner #2 was Philadelphia born William D. Dulles (1858-1915). Dulles was a prominent lawyer in Philadelphia, and was the son of the Reverand John Welsh Dulles (paternal Grandfather of John Foster Dulles, former Secretary of State 1953-59) and Harriet Lathrop Winslow. His cousin also named William Crothers Dulles died in the tragedy of the Titanic.
1602-04 was in the possession of the Coxe family until 1895 when they relocated to Drifton, PA. Eckley B. Coxe Jr. being listed as it's original owner. In the book "Elizabeth Sinkler Coxe's Tales from the Grand Tour, 1890-1910" she tells of how her and her younger sister Caroline shared a dwelling at 1604 Locust St.
Stay tuned to our next segment
"Exploring the Inside".